Publicizing…

…in the middle of a heat wave!

Singing_EG
Another reader begins Rupert Winfield’s first journey.

I spent a very pleasant day yesterday (over six hours) in the High Street, East Grinstead, seated at a table in the bright Sussex sunshine in what must have been one of the hottest days of the year. We haven’t had many of those so far this year, but yesterday went some way to making up for that!

My first novel, ‘FATAL TEARS’ is set against the vivid and often very hot background of 1920s Africa. It occurred to me during the course of yesterday that a certain High Street in West Sussex could well have been a deal hotter than some of the locations in the book. Despite that, there were intrepid shoppers about and it was a successfull day all round.

Members of the East Grinstead Concert Band kindly gave of their time in the afternoon and serenaded us with a selection of marches and other light music, which was much appreciated by both those who were passing by and by yours truly seated behind the table.

EGCB
Members of the East Grinstead Concert Band

Isn’t it amazing how a welcome shadow gradually approaches, with the promise of relief from the sun, but never quite seems to reach where you’re sitting? Odd, that.

If anyone wants to find out more about ‘FATAL TEARS’, feel free to either check out my website, http://www.stuartfifield.com or e-mail me on mail@stuartfifield.com.

A big THANK YOU to John Pye and his staff at The Book Shop, 22 High Street, East Grinstead for hosting us and keeping us supplied with coffee and water. We’ll be back…

Tonight it’s off to conduct a Prom concert on the bandstand in Eastbourne.

I hope your weekend was as enjoyable as mine.

8 thoughts on “Publicizing…

    1. Thanks for the positive comments. I’ve been blogging for about a year. All I do is express my joy in writing and making music. With best wishes. Stuart

  1. Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do
    you have any points or suggestions? Cheers

    1. Hello!
      I would suggest WordPress. Their formats are very user friendly and straight forward. If you have some computer experience, you should have no problem eting to grips with it. Good luck!

  2. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is
    required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

    1. Hello. WordPress is an excellent provider of what you would need to get yourself up and running and it won’t cost you a pretty penny ! Have a look at their site. You can always start with something simple and build the content and complexity as you become more experienced and your confidence builds. Good luck !

  3. First of all I want to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if
    you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your
    thoughts before writing. I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply just trying to figure
    out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Kudos!

    1. Hello,
      Thanks for the comments.
      I usually spend some pre-writing time thinking things over. Once you have the thread of a story, let your imagination take you further. It’s like going from A to B: you know the destination at which you want to arrive, but how you get there can take many different routes.
      Sometimes a simple idea (“why did the shadow fall across the kitchen sink?”) can develop into something bigger, even leading you well away from the original thought. Go with it.
      Don’t be afraid to scrap an idea if it doesn’t work for you. I think that putting the words on paper or screen is 20% of writing: our imagination is the other 80%.
      Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: